With a good game plan, “healthy wine” can be a part of any diet regime. For wine lovers, the idea of eschewing their favorite drink to shed calories may not be appealing. So here are a few tips to get on board the healthy wine train.
Healthy Wine – The Calorie Count
Wine can be incorporated into any diet plan, in moderation. Portion control is the name of the game, with a recommended 5oz. pour daily for those looking to curb calories.
According to Livstrong.com, “Red wine is a little higher in calories than white wine, with an average of 125 calories per 5-ounce glass. A 5-ounce glass of red zinfandel is a little higher than average, with 129 calories and the cabernet sauvignon is a little less than average with 122 calories.”
This handy wine calorie chart from Calorie Lab provides a calorie listing for most varietals. Dry white wines, those with lower residual sugar, such as our Les Hauts de Lagarde Bordeaux Blanc Sauvignon-Semillion blend or Biokult Gruner Veltliner, are the lowest in calories with 120-122 per 5 oz. pour. For perspective, two creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies contain 140 calories, and a large serving of fast food french fries will cost you more than 500 calories. It’s all about choices!
According to Wine Spectator, “To help you track your calorie intake, in December 2015, the FDA started requiring chain restaurants to post calorie counts for both food and alcohol. Wine Spectator took a look at what impact that might have: Most restaurants will just show a range on their wine lists, instead of showing minute differences among brands of Chardonnay.”
For an easy way to keep track of wine calories at home, try these portion-control wine glasses from Weight Watchers. The discreet lines on the glass indicate the level for 5, 6 or 8oz. pours, making it easier for dieters and point trackers to keep tabs on consumption.
Health Benefits of Healthy Wine
- Drinking wine supports longevity of life – red wines have a higher level of the powerful antioxidant Resveratrol, which helps the body fight off disease.
- Wine is heart-healthy – according to Prevention, “Red wines with more of a dry flavor profile, like cabernet, boast higher levels of flavonoids—an antioxidant that’s been shown to promote healthy cholesterol levels and help prevent coronary heart disease.”
- Wine can reduce the risks of heart disease in people with type 2 diabetes – a recent study out of Israel showed that red wine increased the good HDL and decreased the overall cholesterol ratio.
- Anticancer effects – a scientific study shows that red wine polyphenols, which have been shown to be higher in organic wines than in conventional wines – “have been implicated in cancer prevention and that promote human health without recognizable side effects.”
- Nutrients in wine may help prevent Alzheimer’s disease – A long-term study suggests that the resveratrol found in wines help in keeping blood vessels open, so that essential supply of oxygen and glucose can move freely to the brain to keep it alive and working.
Read more in our full blog post “Top 5 Health Benefits of Wine According to Science,” by guest blogger Jen Miller.
- Good for you and good for the planet – no toxic pesticides or fertilizers are allowed in organic wine production, from vine to bottle.
- All wines are made with 100% organic grapes.
- Sustainable farming practices = Healthy soil and the finest-quality grapes.
- Minimal use of sulfites as a stabilizer and preservative in Wines Made with Organic Grapes; zero added, “No Detectable Sulfites” in Organic (USDA seal).
- “Clean” Wine – No hidden additives in production-conventional wines may contain additives to artificially enhance color and flavor.
- Wild or Local Yeast only – no chance of GMO yeast (currently available for use in the US) in any of our wines.
- 100% of our wines are Vegan with no use of animal byproducts that can be commonly found in wine production.
- 100% Non-GMO Ingredients-our Non-GMO Project Verified wines ensure the purity of every ingredient.
- Family owned and operated wineries – a real person and a real story is behind every wine.
- Organic wines are the purest expression of the grape in every glass!