Demeter Biodynamic® Farm Standard is a comprehensive organic farming method that requires the creation and management of a closed system minimally dependent on imported materials, and instead meets its needs from the living dynamics of the farm itself.
As with organic production, the use of GMOs, synthetic chemicals, fertilizers or pesticides is not permitted. This comprehensive organic farming method requires the creation and management of a closed system. Farmers must be minimally dependent on imported materials, meeting all needs with the living dynamics of the farm itself. For example, cattle and chickens are often raised to provide compost, and wheat is grown among the other crops to feed the animals. This self-contained farm is the ultimate model of sustainability and environmental preservation.
The founder of Biodynamic agriculture, Rudolph Steiner, also found there to be lunar and astrological influences on soil and plant development. A number of Biodynamic calendars have been developed that offer indications for optimal times for sowing, cultivating and harvesting, based on the cyclical changes in the positions of the celestial bodies in relation to the earth.
The art of Biodynamic cultivation lies in choosing the right time for all applications or “infusions.” This requires sensitive understanding of the rhythms of the earth and the cosmos, as they have documented positive effects on the flora and fauna of the farm.
According to the article “Why Biodynamic Wine is the Future” on Forbes.com:
“These ‘infusions’ applied to vineyards can include concoctions derived from nettles and chamomile blossoms. Some are intended to reduce mildew without the use of copper sulfate, a fungicide able to damage subterranean microflora.”
Why Biodynamic Wine Production?
“Biodynamic grape growing develops the vineyard’s greatest potential-allowing the vineyard to be the best it can be-and then captures that distinctiveness in the bottle.” Demeter-USA
- Healthier soil produces outstanding quality grapes and their resulting wines are the true essence of the winery’s terroir, creating a “taste of place”
- Biodynamic farming works in harmony with natural ecosystems to preserve and protect life’s diversity and species for future generations
- Healthy crop production equals a healthier glass of wine, free of man-made chemical contaminants and residues
- The creative powers of the cosmos play an important role as well as the consideration of the physical forces of nature
biokult – Biodiversity in Action in the Vineyard
- Our winery partner biokult in Austria is a Demeter certified Biodynamic winery.
- biokult’s winemakers use traditional wine growing and winemaking techniques and develop them in modern ways. Their search for establishing the best conditions and thus letting nature do its best work for the wines without too much human intervention is innovative and modern.
- At the center of Biodynamic agriculture is the creation of the farm as a vital and self-sufficient living organism which harmonizes the life processes between soil, plants and animals.
- biokult wines are Demeter Certified Biodynamic.
Chakana – Quality Biodynamic Wines of Argentina
- Our winery partner Chakana of Argentina is also Demeter certified Biodynamic.
- Chakana’s philosophy perfectly mirrors Natural Merchants’ ideology: Organic, Biodynamic, Non-GMO, Vegan-Friendly, quality product with constant innovation and a true LOVE for nature–Viticulture for the Future.
- The Mendoza Region with Argentina’s soil and climate lends itself to the production of the highest-quality Biodynamic wines.
- Chakana is the first Argentine winery with nationwide distribution in the U.S. to obtain Organic & Biodynamic certification as well as Non-GMO Project verification, and is Fair for Life certified, committed to both social responsibility and fair trade labor practices.