Spanish Organic Wine Partner Bodega Matarromera Honored as Finalist in Drinks Business Green Awards
Our Spanish organic wine partner Bodega Matarromera received a fantastic recognition as one of the greenest wineries in the world as a finalist in the prestigious Drinks Business Green Awards. Matarromera was put on the short list of five companies vying for Green Company of the Year.
The company has demonstrated its commitment to the environment by employing numerous eco-efficient practices. This has transformed one of its wineries into the first fully sustainable facility and a pioneer in the CO2 emission calculation.
Two areas have been actively promoted from the beginning:
– Developing more natural, healthier and eco-friendly products, including the Granza line of wines produced with 100% organically grown grapes.
– Adopting initiatives for the protection of the environment.
Its project “Matarromera sustainable in planet Earth” is under way in all areas of business: an eco-efficient winery, investment in environmental sustainability, use of renewable energies to reduce energy dependence, plan to reduce energy consumption and atmospheric emissions, carbon and hydric footprint calculation, waste processing and use of by-products, eco-friendly agriculture and production and environmental R&D projects.
The Emina Winery, headquarters of Bodegas Familiares Matarromera, is the first integrated sustainable development project and a clear example of the Group’s focus on using the environment to achieve eco-efficiency in all installations: PV energy, biomass and photothermal panels.The company also works to reduce the hydric footprint of its products both in the vineyard and in the winery, employing systems and equipment that reduce consumption and rain water recovery and waste water treatment systems that close the water cycle.
“Companies have made our way of life possible through their role as wealth creators based on their economic results,” says Bodegas Familiares Matarromera founder Carlos Moro. “Nowadays, these perceptions have changed. Companies not only contribute to the economic development of society, but also to its environmental and social development, SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT. It is on this belief that Bodegas Familiares Matarromera develops its corporate strategy.”
Beyond Spanish Organic Wine to Full Sustainability
The organization understands that its main area of activity implies the use of natural resources; therefore, it has adopted some initiatives based on the principles of sustainability in the past three years:
- Reduction in water and energy consumption
- Reduction of emissions per product unit up to 40%
- Implementation of eco-designs to reduce material consumption\
- Gradual replacement of traditional LED lighting systems
- Fostering the use of renewable energies
- Improvement of installation eco-efficiency
- Growth of eco-friendly brands and extension of this concept to other group products
- Introduction of electric vehicles in the corporate fleet
- Development of new environmental R&D projects.
With all of these efforts, Bodega Matarromera has worked toward cementing the company’s position as leader in environmental sustainability within the Spanish wine-making sector.