The Demeter Biodynamic® Farm Standard is a comprehensive organic farming method that requires the creation and management of a closed system minimally dependent on imported materials, and instead meets its needs from the living dynamics of the farm itself. The founder of Biodynamic agriculture, Rudolph Steiner, also found there to be lunar and astrological influences on soil and plant development. A number of Biodynamic calendars have been developed that offer indications for optimal times for sowing, cultivating and harvesting, based on the cyclical changes in the positions of the celestial bodies in relation to the earth.
Why Biodynamic Wine Production?
“Biodynamic grape growing develops the vineyard’s greatest potential-allowing the vineyard to be the best it can be-and then captures that distinctiveness in the bottle.” Demeter-USA
- Healthier soil produces outstanding quality grapes and their resulting wines are the true essence of the winery’s terroir, creating a “taste of place”
- Biodynamic farming works in harmony with natural ecosystems to preserve and protect life’s diversity and species for future generations
- Healthy crop production equals a healthier glass of wine, free of man-made chemical contaminants and residues
- The creative powers of the cosmos play an important role as well as the consideration of the physical forces of nature
Biokult – Biodiversity in Action in the Vineyard
- Our winery partner Biokult in Austria is a Demeter certified Biodynamic winery.
- Winemaker Werner Michlichts and his family have understood the use of traditional wine growing and winemaking techniques and have developed them in modern ways. Their search for establishing the best conditions and thus letting nature do its best work for the wines without too much human intervention is very innovative and modern. The family has become a world-renowned producer of high quality organic wines from Austria.
- At the center of the Michlits’ Biodynamic agriculture is the creation of the farm as a vital and self-sufficient living organism which harmonizes the life processes between soil, plants and animals.
- The family-owned cattle herd of over 50 Angus beef combined with organic/Biodynamic wheat production are some of the most important tools to improve the soils and the vines that grow on them.
- Werner’s understanding of nature’s laws and the logical deductions from this have proven to be correct. His wines are consistently highly stable without the use of any major fining agents or induced stabilization processes. Biodynamic regulations prohibit the addition of outside aromatic yeast, malo-lactic bacteria, enzymes or tannins.
- Biokult wines are Demeter Certified Biodynamic.